Names unnamed!


Months back (or is it years now?) I wrote somewhere, “Naming certain relationships complicate life. So don’t!” From then on, and even before that, I believed in it. And now when I look back, I see more unnamed relationships than named. Not that I can’t give them a name, but I choose not to.

Of course, to look at it, all of us have the convenient blanket term ‘friend’ to name it. But somewhere deep down inside, I do know that ‘friend’ does not state it all. Who do I call a friend? Someone who I have been interacting with regularly, share my thoughts and emotions with, or just go out shopping when I have nothing better to do. Or just some random people I say “What’s up dude? Have been thinking of you/ missing you…”? That reminds me…ever thought how “miss you too” is different from “miss you”? It is…trust me!

How about missing a habit? As simple as the habit of talking to someone/ about something for hours! Do you miss the person or the habit if it’s curtailed one fine day? Or is it just that you get used to the habit of missing the habit…and life continues?

Coming back to what I was blabbering, naming relationships! Was talking to a friend of mine when this realization dawned… even while I name relationships for convenience of people around, it never works for me. No two relationships share the same intensity, vibe, proximity. And therein lies the beauty of it – each is unique in its own way. And I love the way they are.

But then, society demand I name relationships. Tag people as cousins, colleagues, friends, relatives, acquaintances. But what if my cousin is my best confidant? Or a colleague is someone who I can spend hours talking about something that no one else understands? Or a friend who I miss more than others when s/he is busy? Or someone with whom I can be comfortable in silence?

Do such relationships necessarily be renamed? Should they have a name to begin with? Why can’t I just introduce someone to the world like: “S/he is someone I love sharing things with. Someone who understands what words fail to say…someone more than a friend…someone I love in a different way, not as a friend, not as a boy/girl friend, not as a partner. Someone I care for just because I like caring for.”

I bet the society would freak out at the thought of this! So we conveniently use blanket terms. Wonder when would we learn to call a spade a spade and not by any other name! Perhaps never!

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi There (Sorry don't know your name) ....Good morning...I understand where you are coming from. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about it...It's a result of the polarization that's been taking place over the last several decades. Everything now has to be black or white, no middleground..It's more the result of being human. The world is mind-bendingly complex. We as animals strive for ways to categorize, classify and discriminate -- it'd be impossible not to do this. It reminds me of a dialogue from a popular movie "Ek ladka aur ek ladki kabhi dost nahin ho sakte" - What the hell !!!! Chahe ise maano ya na maano but our so called society does as it has been moulded so hard for years that it is difficult for it to change....So I believe "Bhaad mein jaaye janta humein kya chinta"...Enjoy living happily :-)
moon.attic said…
Thanks :-)

not that mass opinion will affect my living happily in any way…I will continue doing what I want to, but the thought that it has to be either black or white and CANNOT be grey is what I refuse to accept. It’s ok to work on lessening the grey factors, but ignoring its existence is what I refuse to accept. It’s all in the mind.
A friend of mine does have a name for such unnamed relationships. COMPANIONSHIP! Kinda right I guess, if u have to name something.
Yup…we can’t do anything about it I guess…except do what I am best at. Ignore people and live life.
Unknown said…
The problem with people like us we dont let things get out of our lives so easily once we have them in our life. We get connected both personally and emotionally...And it really becomes difficult to name it as you rightly said. Regarding the black and white stuff its how the society around us expect it to be...KUCH TO NAAM HOGA IS RISHTE KE...Arrey yaaar rishta accha hai kaafi nahin kya...How does it matter? anyways IT's MY LIFE and I ain't bothered what others expect out of me
moon.attic said…
bang on!! can't agree more! :-)
Spacing Places said…
Hmm, meye hole Anamika!
Unknown said…
Hi,
Hope all is well with you. Havent got any new posts? Please keep it coming
moon.attic said…
Oops!! U keep on checking kya? A l'il tied up with work! :-) And too blank to write :-P
moon.attic said…
Apratim da: mondo naa...anamik/ anamika :-P

Popular posts from this blog

Irons and Ironies...

the Questions…