kiddo...

I met him once! A 17-year old…who was literally awed by my presence and kind of started idealizing me. His mom too kept her typical mom-ish radio on…till I intervened: “Kakima…why are you bothered? Let him be himself. I didn’t even bother to have any ideals till date!”

To which her answer was: “You will understand only when you have your own kids.”

And I ended up muttering under my breath: Holy s***!

I liked this guy…his zeal for life…his endless blabbering…his innocence.

Between, we met while we were out for a weekend picnic. Off to a sea-side with my dad’s college gang and their family (there were 53 of us). January chill couldn’t dampen the spirit of these 50+ ageing gang of friends…

Coming back to this kid…

I entered the hotel and he walked up to say: “Have been waiting for you so long. Shall we go out for a walk on the beach this evening?”

I was shell shocked! I didn't even know who he was. Before I could open my mouth, he dropped another bomb: “Please don’t say no! Please…”

To which I could only smile and say: Sure! Just give me 5 minutes to change. Then we will have lunch together and go for a walk. What say kiddo?

He was elated! In the evening, all of us went out and had a gala time…rode on Ferris’ Wheel…had ice candy and phuchkas…..

And then…I sneaked out of the gang to have a quiet conversation with sea. Kiddo followed me and ended up commenting: I love to walk along the shores…

I smiled. To which he reacted: “Didi…you have been in love naa? Isn’t it beautiful?”

I replied…
To myself: Yes…with the sea.
To him: What makes you think so? Am not into any relationship

Kiddo: Am talking of love…and I know you are. You cannot not be in love…

The conversation continued…I listened more…spoke little. And smiled a lot.


December 14, 2010

Dad called. “Moon…Gupi uncle (kiddo’s dad) expired this afternoon.”

My immediate reaction was: Where is kiddo? (His name is Subho, but I prefer calling him kiddo)? Is he fine?

Dad: Yup…at least he looks so! He wanted to talk to you.

Me: Tell him I’ll call tomorrow.


Wondering what do I tell him? Will I ever be able to share the pain of a kid who lost his dad? Will I ever understand him?

Wish could just be there…hug him and say…

But I donno what to say…

Comments

Ajay said…
This is so painful and heart touching! I lost my dad when I was hardly 13 and when I think about it now, I don't know what somebody close to me could have said which would have made any difference.

You need not say anything. Being around him talking to him, letting him know you are there, his family is there, is something I would have done.

Let him share what he wants to say. Show him he has long way to go and he has people like you and his other family members with him!!!

God Bless!!
Ajay
moon.attic said…
Ajay: cant agree more. When u lose someone close to ur heart, no words can fill the sense of void. Perhaps only being around matters...

Popular posts from this blog

Names unnamed!

Irons and Ironies...

the Questions…