It's time...

Back I am! With nothing else to do (not that I ever had loads of work to crib about), thought would as well write something while waiting for a call. This again is long due. And springs from a complaint of a dear nursery friend – “Remember the last time we met?” Promised him that will meet next time I am in the city, whatever it takes. Also promised him to be in regular touch over phone – and trying to do that.

He was (or perhaps still is) a good friend of mine. I remember him helping me out of homesickness, when all I did the whole day was crib about not being in Kolkata. Yahoo Messenger was the in thing then; and we had the voice chat turned on the whole day while we did our own work. The honk of cars and rickshaws gave me a feeling of being in Kolkata sitting 1700km away. For six months (or more) he made sure that I don’t miss the sounds of my city, my locality.

Months later, as that craving gave way to acceptance; the voice chat was turned off. I had more important things to do in life than listen to rickshaws’ honking. We were in regular touch, until both of us became busy with our own lives.

And our conversations (or silence) died. What remained were casual updates of life – assignments, jobs, crushes, and relationships. Soon to follow was: “Oh…I thought you knew this!” And then: “Why does he need to know about this?”

An hour long phone call with him suddenly made me realize – he still considers me as one of his best friend. Hearing someone I haven’t been in touch with for months except for occasional “What’s up dude?” pour his heart out just thinking that I am his best friend made me wonder – Could I ever do this? Perhaps never! But that’s him – with whom I fought the most, had the worst ego clash ever, and yet it just took a simple “am sorry” to get it all back to square one.

My introspective self realized that it’s me who has been out of touch, unreachable for days when people I call friends desperately wanted to reach me, been whimsical enough to switch off the phone just to shut the world out, and do everything that could be done to spoil relationships. And thought “I can handle this all by myself.” What I forgot was there are people who might need me. People who have been with me otherwise till I decided to shut the doors on them!

And yet, now when I look back, I see them all there. Just a call with unsaid “Gosh…wish you were in the city to help me out of this mess!” and am back to sanity.

It’s time to mend those long lost ties. Time to get back to people I call friends. Time to stop running and face the world! Time to renew old ties…before I build any new one!

And time to get back the me that I thought I don’t need! Just 2011…and I promise myself to mend it all! I will make this my year…a year to live and cherish.


(And yes…I chose to turn deaf to all that everybody has to say about ‘Get Settled’. This will be my year to live…the way I want it to be! Any suggestions otherwise, will have a drop box ready that shall be opened in 2012.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Names unnamed!

Irons and Ironies...

Do I need you?