The madness...


My sweetest memories of the game of cricket dates back to the time I was a kid. When I was threatened to follow the game, because my brother believed my luck would make India win. I had to watch every ball, and when bored, bugged dadabhai with stupid questions. His replies varied, from answers with straight face to ROFL to ‘dumbo’. And I loved all of them.

He grew up to stop believing in luck. And I stopped following the game. Not because I didn’t love it, but because I missed my being ‘dumbo’ before him. Or perhaps because I grew up to be busy.


My recent sweetest memory of the game of cricket dates back to the last few weeks. Or days to be precise. When I suddenly got into the mode of being cricket crazy (because I had nothing else to help me get certain things out of my mind), made weird plans, and to my utter surprise, executed them. It all began with India winning the WC 2011 quarters. Made a plan, it got dumped. And then made the man who dumped it promise to make it for the semis. He did. We all did. Ended up making another plan for the finals. And to our surprise (since it was a Saturday, a lazy day for me), made that happen too.

India won. That is important. But more important than that are the celebrations that followed. The city went mad, literally! Well, we were not. Unlike the semis, this time I was high on ‘cold coffee with ice cream’. For some obvious reasons of course. Making people wonder am I ok to say no to hard drinks. All we did was go out for midnight ice cream. Trust me, I didn’t ask for it. Someone else did, I just gave in looking nonchalant, and smiled to myself. Loved it… and fell in love with the city all over again (but would save this for another post).

End of madness. Madness # n. What remains are smiles. Memories. A belief that whatever has to happen will happen. And will happen for good. Unstated ‘miss you’s – for dadabhai and other plans. And midnight ice creams.

Oops…and of course the WORLD CUP! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Names unnamed!

Irons and Ironies...

the Questions…