Naale...


Sipping on life…was busy spending another sleepless night over something that really doesn’t matter much. Work can be a good medicine, and was only trying to put it to use when a friend pinged. Or I did?

Anyway, it started off with buying a piece of land to die…. I know it sounds strange, but that’s the note on which we started off, with he questioning – isn’t death also life? I ended up answering, yup…perhaps a beautiful afterlife.

The conversation continued in between work…discussing the only topic we invariably end up discussing – life! Whatever, I am not posting this to share our conversation.

Just a word that struck me – a long forgotten one! Naale!

He asked me if I remember this haunting word. I ransacked my brain but couldn’t, when he came up with “it means tomorrow in Malayalam…the last word of God of Small Things.”

My first thought was: ‘Shit! What’s wrong with me! This is one word I loved…and grew up on! He remembers that I grew up on it, and I forgot what I grew up on!”

But then I realized – I have so long been out of myself (or perhaps overgrown myself) that I have killed a part of me…a part dear to me. And am comfortable living that way, till some people I care to call friends make me miss that long-lost part of me. And I end up thinking, “Shit man! Why did I do this to myself?”

But then…at times you can’t help! I couldn’t. But I made him a promise – would ‘plumb’ the original words…the ‘me’ buried in depths…or at least try to!

If not today, maybe tomorrow!  




Comments

Captain Nemo said…
You know, more than the narrative(you ,anyway, know how much I like your writing) what intrigued me was the associated visual. Wow! What a pose! Delicately perched on a country boat against an overcast morning sky out in the open sea. So many emotions juxtaposed....

Where do you get such insightful pictures? They make your entries all the more alluring.
moon.attic said…
the narrative has nothing alluring in it. it was just 1 word that caught my attention, and a picture i had in mind :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Names unnamed!

Irons and Ironies...

the Questions…