Rosy...


This is the virtual rose that made me realize today's date!
Was oblivious of today’s date, till an e-mail popped up…HAPPY ROSE DAY! Wished back…and chuckled. And was back to those days when Rose Day’s were big things. Those days when you found roses beside your school bag, and wondered who is it from… those days when a glance and a shy smile said it all.  Times change…we grow up, while wilted roses remain in between the pages of a long forgotten diary.

Just as I convinced myself, “You have outgrown that romantic kid” and was planning to concentrate on what earned me bread, butter, and occasional drinks, the phone rang. A school friend! Got through medical PG and the first person he could think of to share his excitement was me. I sounded excited at his excitement, all the while thinking how certain things in life never change. He didn’t change, his friendship didn’t. Perhaps I did…and convinced myself that is the most natural thing in the world.

Anyway, Rose Day has lost its meaning. Now I smile at those who still value it. I smile not because they do, but because I fail to. I smile at my failure…at those lost emotions…at those not being able to feel the excitement in the air. I smile at those metro rides, those endless waits at metro station, those long lost smart cards (Kolkata metro still has those I guess), those rickshaw rides, those endless walks, those chilly evenings…

And I wonder…when did I grow up so much to smile at the wilted rose petals that I suddenly came across while rearranging my old books? Or those childish “Roses are red…” poems.

I smile at the emotions that went behind the first rose I got in my life…at the innocence.

HAPPY ROSE DAY world!
And HAPPY ROSE DAY to my lost innocence!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Names unnamed!

Irons and Ironies...

the Questions…